Re: [AD] [ alleg-Bugs-1650580 ] Problem in fixed point library.

On 2007-02-04, Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 01:18 +1100, Peter Wang wrote:
> >
> > Didn't we discuss the fixed point functions on allegro.cc last year or
> > so?  Don't apply this just yet.
>
> Yes, found it here: http://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/488085
>
> And thinking about it, there actually is nothing wrong with using float
> as implied by the bug report. So, as the float is faster according to
> that thread, indeed nothing should be changed then (until someone comes
> up with a test to prove the opposite).

I retried the benchmark in that thread, and fixdivl now beats fixdivf on
my machine by ~10%, where as it was slower by ~15% one and a half years
ago.  With a couple of other silly benchmarks fixdivl wins by an even
greater margin.  Probably the only relevant difference to my setup since
then would be a newer version of gcc (3.4.6 vs 3.3.4).

Anyone up for some benchmarking?

Peter