Re: [AD] Patch for makefile issue when compiling MSVC with Cygwin

Milan Mimica wrote:
Andrei Ellman wrote:
The second version using makefile.helper does not work if using MSVC6, as msvchelp.c does not get called. Either use the version of the patch that I've attatched (a modified version of the first version of your patch), or update fix.bat so that msvchelp.c is called regardless of which MSVC version is being used (and update the docs to reflect this).

Yeah really, why not making --msvcpaths default for all MSVC targets? We can relax DOS 8.3 format restrictions for paths since we have msvchelp. There must be a catch I'm affraid

I agree. Using the msvchelp.c for all MSVC builds is a good idea, because then, it simplifies the install instructions - just let fix.bat do it's thing, and not worry about spaces in the MSVCDir. fix.bat would have to be modified to set the MSVCDir variable to MSVC6's MSVCDIR if VCINSTALLDIR is not found. We might also want to remove the 'msvc' target from from fix.sh while we're at it.

Bah, I just applied this patch. IMO there is no much point unuglyfing the 4.2 branch build system as long as it works.

Has the MSVC makefile for 4.3 forked off from the one for 4.2 yet? If not, we can easilly apply the fixes to both. makefile.vc in 4.2.1 is already broken if using the current version of Cygwin's make, so we might as well un-uglify the build-system while we're at it.

And making --msvcpaths default wouldn't work if the user doesn't have win32-api installed onto cygwin/mingw.

Ermm... don't we already need win32-api to be able to build the Allegro windows build?

And while I'm here, as well as fixing the 'cygpath' for MSVC, do we also need to do the same for the Borland C makefile and other Windows compilers?

AE.