Re: [AD] Allegro unable to deal with non ascii filenames

On 2006-12-27, Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just out of interest, if you set your locale to UTF8, the tests will
> work on your system, right?

Sure. I can compile with U_UTF8, launch an xterm with -u8, create a few
files with latin1 characters and run the test, then it all works, since
Allegro is converting from utf8 utf8, this is, it is not converting
anything at all, and then we have exactly the situation of 4.0.x, where
setting U_ASCII would effectively make strings go straight from/to the
OS without conversion and my latin1 test would work.

With the changes to utf8 in 4.2.x the situation is more likely to go
unnoticed, since possibly most new linux installations use utf8, but it
is just still wrong.