Re: [AD] Bug with transparent ellipses

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 12:12 -0400, Jon Rafkind wrote:
> Also maybe slightly off-topic but I dont find ASSERTs that valuable.
> When my program segfaults the first thing I do is not re-run it with a
> debugged version of Allegro, rather I pour through my own code to see
> what I messed up( since I trust Allegro that much :) ). Perhaps I should
> use the debugged version instead but I imagine many other people don't,
> especially people with less experience.

Well, during development, you will always be in debug mode, and only
compile in release mode for the release, right? Which means, if you use
an IDE, an ASSERT will trigger the display of a traceback and let you
directly jump to the line in your code causing the error. (Or so I
believe, actually never tried this out in an IDE.) And in linux with
core dumps enabled, you can simply examine the core with gdb to have the
same effect.

So I'd say, it should be useful to developers, experienced or not..

--
Elias Pschernig