[AD] 4.3 Events and polling

I've been looking at the 4.3 event source/queue system.

I may not have quite understood it fully, but is there a way for
al_get_next_event to 'pull' an event from its source? This would be
useful for a polling driver where it wouldn't make sense to get the
value any more frequently than the game's main loop (I'm thinking of
the joystick)

Otherwise you'd have to set up a timer internally which polls the
source and 'pushes' the event to the queue, which seems inefficient
because you might poll too often or too seldom.

Pete