Re: [AD] 4.3.0 is now up

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 20:45 +0200, Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:
> On 2006-07-24, Peter Wang <tjaden@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I've uploaded the 4.3.0 packages.  I'm delegating the rest of
> > the work to someone else :-)
>
> Aren't you following diffs/user packages like in previous unstable
> branches? That's cool.
>
> On 2006-07-24, Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I posted an annnouncement on alleg.sf.net (Which is a pain,
> > can't we get something like on allegro.cc, or maybe use the SF
> > news posting somehow?  Like a script to transfer news from SF
> > into allegrowww SVN..).
>
> Right now the pain of updating the web still doesn't outweight
> being able to replicate the web to three mirrors and translate.
> Maybe we should drop those two features and put something else you
> will like more.

I'm not sure how the news posting would work, but probably it would be a
cron job, which somehow reads the news from SF, and updates the website.
So it should work with static-html mirrors just fine. I haven't looked
into it yet though.

> Personally I don't think anybody uses the Spanish version of the
> Allegro web site. Every time I've asked a Spanish programmer,
> they use the English version out of fear of having a stale
> translation. This feeling is consistent across all kind of technical
> software and I've resolved to stop doing translations because nobody
> apreciates them.

Well, I'll try to keep up with the German version of the Allegro website
as long as it is there, but I wouldn't mind at all if you drop the
translation system. The German version probably never has been seen by
anyone :)

A translation of the manual to German might possibly have a few users
interested (unlike the website), but that's too much work.

--
Elias Pschernig