Re: [AD] mouse_api branch

On 8/27/06, Peter Wang <tjaden@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2006-08-26, Peter Hull <peterhull90@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 8/26/06, Robert Ohannessian <ROhannessian@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > For any game where mouse movements are used, not having events generated
> > when the mouse is outside the window will make it very annoying for
> > users.
> Right - the demo game for OpenLayer is a case in point.

This is about FPS-style games which require infinite movement in any
direction, right?  That requires not just mouse events when outside the
window, but the mouse should not be allowed to leave the window,
otherwise you couldn't click to fire.
For the movement, I suppose you would use the dx, dy values. I don't
know about clicks. On OS X, the front window gets all mouse events
regardless of whether the pointer is over that window or not.

I don't like the set_range() functions at all, as I'm not sure what it
should do in a windowing environment.

OK, whatever. Something like what's listed in the Allegro 5 document
would be OK. In pseudo-code, something like
void movement_handler()
{
if (mouse_within_window || mouse_is_grabbed)
{
  generate_allegro_event();
}
}