Re: [AD] Recent 4.3 change?

I apologise for my last email being grumpier that I intended. It was
the assumption that I am so clueless that I would check code into
completely the wrong repository that did it.

Regarding the word "simulation", if that caused alarm, I think a case
can be made that the whole of Allegro is about simulating a late-1990s
SVGA PC with DOS!

In this specific instance, the OS X implementation does not have any
access to VRAM - it has a memory bitmap which is synchronized via
mutexes and a sort of dirty rectangle system (actually a dirty line
system) to a QuickDraw port.I just loosened the link a little bit so
that the implementation could swap which bitmap was being sent to the
port. I believe that this _will_ increase performance for complex
drawing that covers most of the screen, because you can access the
'offscreen' bitmap as much as you like without obtaining the mutex or
triggering the update cycle.

On to the future though - I totally agree with the need for the debate
we've been having on 4.3, and I have no plans to implement anything
until consensus has been reached.

Pete

On 8/2/06, Peter Hull <peterhull90@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hope you slept well.

On 8/1/06, Chris Robinson <chris.kcat@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I recently woke up, so I don't know how old this is, but one of the bots
> alerted to a commit:
>
> <juvbotz> Allegro updated, r7433 [peterhull90]
> <juvbotz> Simulation of video bitmaps, so that page flipping will work
>
> Assuming this change was for 4.3, I really think this should be reverted and
> properly discuessed.
It was not for 4.3, as you 'assume', it was for 4.2. On OSX, page
flipping is simulated in fullscreen mode, and always has been, but not
in windowed mode. Now it is available equally in both.

Cheers,

Pete