Re: [AD] allegro-4.2.0 compilation error with gcc-4.1.2

On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 13:49 +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 12:30:25PM +0200, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> > Personally, I never could understand gcc's inline asm - so it would be
> > helpful if you could explain the patch a bit. What did change in 4.1,
> > and how are you fixing it?
>
> Matthew says:
> The attempt to "force edx" was invalid. The unused variable was
> not used at all so I took it out of the asm and renumbered the
> other inputs.
>
> gcc4 is more picky about the assembler input and detects more
> problem with it.

Thanks, but I'm still not sure. I read a bit in the gcc docs, and the

"=&d" (edx)

seems to have been put there by the original author so x and y won't be
put into EDX. After the patch, this can happen. Is this really allowed?
And why is the same code valid for fixdiv?

Also, I tried with this version of gcc:

gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20060613 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-5)

And it does not complain.

So, well, need to wait until someone who knows more about it shows up,
or provide me with even more info if I should apply it :)

--
Elias Pschernig