Re: [AD] Volunteer to help make release

On Friday 05 May 2006 13:45, Peter Wang wrote:
> What's happening with 4.2.1?  I guess we're all short of time, but
> actually the most time consuming part of making a release is simply to
> update docs/changes._tx and docs/thanks._tx.  Once that's done the rest
> should be easy for one of us time-starved developers.

Yes! That's the thing that actually held me back most (because it's noth
time consuming and boring).

> Any takers?

Would it make sense to have someone dedicated to doing this?

> All you'd need to do is look through the SVN logs since 4.2.0, pick out
> the "important changes" (using your judgement) and formulate them into
> coherent sentences in docs/changes._tx.

If anyone wants them, I have a ready-to-convert SVN log with the changes
from 4.2.0 upto March 31. I don't remember if the SVN logs don't include
changes to the 4.3 branch or if I pruned those already, either way,
they're gone too.

> P.S. Are there any showstoppers?

The Windows unicode file stuff needs to be cleared up (but I think Chris's
last patch does that), there's key_shifts issues on Windows that I don't
think are resolved (but not new either), there's an exit function patch of
which part should be applied and I have an a.cc thread marked with a bug
report for the MacOS X keyboard driver with a fix by Peter Hull (otherwise
untested, as far as I know, but should be fine). Other than that, no show
stoppers the I'm aware of. There are a few old patches collecting dust on
my HD that I should have a look at again, but nothing crucial, I think.

Oh, wait... the release scripts are still broken in that they make some
assumptions about the directory structure that are valid for CVS but not
for SVN: in particular CVS vs .svn directories (trivial) and the top level
directory not being called allegro (more annoying), but it's quite easy to
package things up and do the release manually.

Evert