Re: [AD] Distributing Allegro binary shared objects for Linux

On 2006-05-17, Evert Glebbeek <eglebbk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 May 2006 00:56, Kirk Black wrote:
> > When distributing the shared objects on Linux, do I only need to
> distribute
> > the liballeg.so.4.2 file or do I also need to include the modules that
> are
> > normally installed in /usr/local/lib/allegro/4.2/ (alleg-vga.so,
> > alleg-alsadigi.so, alleg-alsamidi.so, alleg-svgalib.so, alleg-fbcon.co,
> > alleg-artsdigi.so, alleg-dga2.so, alleg-esddigi.so)?
>
> You also need to distribute the modules. Bear in mind that distributing
> the .so libraries requires that the user has specific versions of its
> dependent libraries installed.

For Allegro, the only dependency for which this is a problem is glibc.
Compiling against a newer glibc often makes a binary dependent on that
newer glibc.  You can try apbuild to avoid this.  There may also be a
problem with a few X extensions which don't come in dynamically linked
forms on some (older?) distributions.  apbuild statically links those
for you, apparently.

Peter