Re: [AD] Allegro unable to deal with non ascii filenames

On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 22:40 +0200, Michal Molhanec wrote:
>    Hello,
> don't tell me that there is no way on Linux how to ask system which
> system encoding is used and/or to convert string from/to UTF-8 to the
> system encoding.

Well, probably all libc functions will use the current locale setting.
So if your locale is UTF8, filenames will be returned as UTF8. If it is
latin1, filenames will be latin1.

Allegro currently uses plain libc for file access - so there is no place
to put Linux/Windows specific things. And libc itself indeed has no way
to convert a locale specific string to UTF8.

I guess what we would need is two methods like this:

convert_filename_to_allegro
convert_allegro_to_filename

But well, it seems, those would need to be Windows/Linux specific.

--
Elias Pschernig