Re: [AD] Allegro unable to deal with non ascii filenames

On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 21:56 +0200, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 21:52 +0200, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 21:28 +0200, Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:
> > >
> > > PD2: I really hope I making a stupid mistake in the test case,
> > >      I don't want to fix this mess.
> >
> > No, unfortunately, I can see the same here. And I could have sworn I
> > played with unicode files in an Allegro program some time ago. Anyway,
> > it does work perfectly using fopen, so shouldn't be too hard to fix
> > hopefully. In the worst case, I'd be for assuming UTF8 encoding - that
> > would at least fix it for most unix systems I guess.
>
> Ah, no, I had misunderstood - this is only with set_uformat(U_ASCII) -
> so I really have no idea. What reason is there to change the default
> encoding at all? Maybe we should warn about using set_uformat.

And that again is wrong. There's also problems when not using
set_uformat - it now will find the file with al_findfirst, but then
still fail opening it.

So, it seems we should do just what you said - try to detect a default
encoding, and convert filenames to that (instead of ASCII as right now).
If possible, maybe we could include it in 4.2.1 still - seems like a
serious flaw :/

--
Elias Pschernig