Re: [AD] ALLEGRO_USE_C vs ALLEGRO_NO_ASM

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 23:36 +0200, Milan Mimica wrote:
> Elias Pschernig wrote:
> >
> > And I also just noticed again in the test program that the non-asm
> > version is between 10% and 100% (!) faster in the draw_sprite tests for
> > my old pentium 4 here, so I propose to change the default ./configure
> > result to always disable asm, and give Allegro some speed up under unix
> > that way, the X11 port can need it :)
>
> It would break ABI compatibility.
> There are some functions that benefit from ASM code. I don't know
> exactly which one (some memory bitmaps rotation/stretching I think), I
> just noticed it while profiling my game. This things really need to be
> benchmarked.

Hm, it does break ABI? Oh well, it was badly designed then I guess.. a
good way would have been to hide the asm/non-asm in the driver. But
yeah, I faintly can remember something like this coming up before.

About benchmarking, I think there was a lot of benchmarking on
allegro.cc about a year ago, and non-asm clearly won.

--
Elias Pschernig