Re: [AD] Is there a licensing reason why PNG isn't built-in to Allegro?

Milan Mimica wrote:

Kirk Black wrote:
I'm not very familiar with PNG.  It seems like a good format to use but I
notice Allegro doesn't have built-in support but rather one must get the
loadpng/libpng/zlib libraries and build them as options.  Are there
licensing or technical reasons why PNG isn't built-in with Allegro?

It would add more dependencies.
I think we're about pulling all bitmap format stuff out of allegro core.

One of the reasons to use allegro is that is packs all the needed
functionality for developing games in it and avoids extra dependencies.
As allegro is not a 'mainstream' library, stripping it into parts will
make using it much more complicated.

Why not intergating loadpng and jpgalleg into allegro with the
possibility to disable them on configure step? Linux kernel does not
seem to suffer from bundling lots of device drivers with it as only
those that are needed by the end user are really compiled and they do
not add any 'bloat'.

The reason for this suggestion is simple, as far as I know, current
jpgalleg is NOT amd64 compatible. If it was a part of allegro library,
that portability issue would have been resolved long ago.