Re: [AD] Is there a licensing reason why PNG isn't built-in to Allegro?

On Friday 24 March 2006 18:02, Siarhei Siamashka wrote:
> Why not intergating loadpng and jpgalleg into allegro with the
> possibility to disable them on configure step? Linux kernel does not
> seem to suffer from bundling lots of device drivers with it as only
> those that are needed by the end user are really compiled and they do
> not add any 'bloat'.

This is easy to do on *nix: simply have configure check for zlib and libpng
and compile Allegro with png support if both are present. Easy.
The problem is that this type of dependency checking is a pain in the rear
on Windows.
As for including libpng and zlib in the default Allegro distribution... I'm
still not a fan of that because if I have them installed it feels
redundant to have Allegro install and build them again - especially if it
staticlinks them and I want to use the shared objects. Of course,
configure can take care of all that, so again, *nix would not be a
problem.

Evert