Re: [AD] PATCH: updated mprotect patch for allegro-4.2.1 which also work on Linux

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 09:28 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:

> > I think this is also part of the reason for Microsoft sticking with 32 bit
> > long: there's a lot of Windows-specific code floating around that thinks a
> > long is 32 bit for historical reasons. On the other hand, I think MS also
> > used typedefs such as BYTE, WORD, DWORD (and QWORD?), so I don't really see
> > why they cannot just update their typedefs...
> >

> I think so too, but there is also lots of newer code which asumes sizeof
> long == sizeof(void *) so they are not helping themselves I believe.

That's worse than the Microsoft way though, in this case. Either you
follow the standard, or you don't. If you follow it, then all software
also following it will be compatible.

So for Allegro, we are trying to follow C99 as close as possible. Which
is not close at all, since at the same time we want to support gcc 3.x
and VC 7.x (and for Allegro 4.2 even gcc 2.95 and VC 6.x, I think..).

--
Elias Pschernig