Re: [AD] new pointer API

On 2006-03-18, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Of course you can't really KNOW if people wont make touch or multiple
> pointer applications, as its not currently even remotely possible in
> Allegro. Personally, I'd like things to be complete. Not to limit the user
> too awefuly much.

I think the additional effort is not worth the gain.  Similarly for
multiple keyboard support.

> > It's not hard and it would be useful, but it would introduce a
> > dependency between the mouse drivers and keyboard drivers so I'm not
> > sure we want to do that.
>
> This one is a little difficult.. It would be nice if the mouse "can" attempt
> to check the modifier state, just to keep the two in sync. I could see the
> keyboard and mouse state get out of sync, when checking the event queue for
> a mouse press, then attempting to check the key modifiers.

Event queues are accessed in a strict FIFO manner, so I don't see why
they would become out of sync.  Also, if the mouse "can" attempt to
check modifiers state, does that mean it's unreliable?  That would be
unusable.

> I wonder if it would be usefull to use the "time" to sync events, and grab
> events in the order they have in thier time field. Or something similar..

I'm not sure what you mean.  Events are inserted into queues in the
order that they arrive.  They also have a timestamp but we don't use
that to determine their relative orders.

Peter