Re: [AD] Breakpointing an app in the MSVC 6 debugger can get a key to be stuck in Windows 2000

aj wrote:
the issue being a key gets 'stuck' whilst using a debugger ?
it is not uncommon for multi-threaded apps to become 'unstable' when using a debugger, i don't think you can expect to fix this 'bug'. it sounds like something caused by the debugger, not allegro; and i dont think its allegro's problem to have to be written in such a way as to not play havoc with M$'s debugger.

Shall we just agree to write a note in the debugging section of the documentation about the pitfalls of debugging multi-threaded applications - specifically about the posibility of a key-release not being handled by the Allegro keyboard thread while the app is breakpointed in the debugger.

One thing that's putting me off upgrading is that I heard that MSVC7's IDE had become considerably more bloated and slower than it's predecessor.

it also does more; does more successfully, and is written more like an IDE should be (althou it is only M$ so dont expect it to do much more than be a glorified text editor) i think its still within what i call exceptable bloat considering what it does.

I also seem to remember that starting from MSVC 7, .NET is required to be installed, and that's well bloated.

i have heard you can use the v6 IDE, with the free v8 compiler (unsure about the debugger, it may need v7/8's IDE features).

Do you know any more details, or could you provide a link?

However, I have heard that MSVC 6 has some issues compiling C++ code,

"some" issues...  lets start at C++ 101...  a for loop's scope...

Just out of interest, is there a web-page that mentions what these issues are? When I finally switch from doing my own stuff in C to C++, this might just be the push I need to upgrade. Incidenatally, I have used MSVC6 with C++ in two previous jobs (where I wrote plugins for 3DSMAX) and did not come accross any compiler-related problems.

and I am eventually considering migrating over to a fully GCC-based solution using a free IDE such as SCITE, and replacing SourceControl with CVS or SVN.

good idea... i prefer to use both; i get double the warnings; double the compiler helping me resolve issues.
try to use both if you can.

I currently do that. MSVC for debugging, and GCC for releases. For even more warnings, try compiling your C code as C++.

For now, MSVC 6 SP5 is a capable C89 compiler and I'm used to it's debugger. I currently use GCC to create release-builds of my software.

i feel your dilemma, i know its a pain to upgrade; i've been evaluating the move to v8 for about 3 months; and are still doing so... everyday.

i dont know your economic status; but if your even semi serious about writing code.. then getting a worthy CPU (even AMD2400's are about $50) is worth the investment; msvc7's bloat is non-existant with something like that CPU.

I am eventually thinking of getting myself a new laptop, but for now, my main priority is to reduce my todo-list and get my projects done.

AE.