Re: [AD] Allegro and C#

2006/1/6, Kirill Kononenko <kirill.kononenko@xxxxxxxxx>:
I think, development with Allegro and C# can become really useful and
popular only officially supported by Allegro and DotGNU (the .NET
effort by the FSF).
Who of them would do the actual coding and bug hunting-fixing and future maintaining?

As I image - Allegro and C# should be used for
development of cross-platform games for handhelds.

It can be used right now if one wants to. C is cross platform and Allegro works nicely on at least one portable console. Remember, the fact that C# works on some platform doesn't automagically mean Allegro C# bindings will. Someone will have to port Allegro C library to that platform first.
What I would love is that Allegro and C# become an official part of
the DotGNU project. But I image this can be only officially supported
by Allegro.
It is a nice idea but I think current developers have quite a lot of work with maintaining the C-only version of Allegro. Adding another officially supported languages would double the total number of official languages supproted. That will mean quite a bit of work and someone will have to do it.

I don't think C# bindings have to be officially supported straight from the beginning. That would mean the development of next Allegro version would take considerably more time. What could be done is that someone develops standalone wrapper and when it can be considered stable it could be incorporated to e.g official addon, something similar to GUI and some other things might become in the 4.4/4.6 version or as AllegroGL is at the moment. That way the development of official Allegro C library won't slow down.

In short, I don't think many of the current devs are willing to code on the C# wrapper. If anyone likes to have C# bindings (s)he must do them itself. If it gets good enough and has full support from its developers it might be added to the list of Allegro officially supported libraries/addons.

On the other hand, I am no Allegro developer. They might have totally different view of the thing. I just wrote what I think most current devs think.

Cheers,
Kirill.