Re: [AD] Indexed datafiles

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 12:23 +1100, Peter Wang wrote:
> > Hm. I remember hearing about this, but forgot the details.. so can you
> > clarify a bit more? Isn't there a way to have symbolic lookups with
> > DLLs? Otherwise, we cannot add any new functions to 4.2.1, but we can
> > somehow work around that with "static inline"?
>
> Actually, see the top of misc/fixdll.sh.  We should be able to
> add symbols to DLL otherwise all that work Eric did is wasted :-)

<quote>
#  If the reference symbol list misc/dllsyms.lst already exists, the script runs in an incremental way:
#  new symbols (those not listed in misc/dllsyms.lst) are appended at the end of the new symbol list.
#  This mechanism maintains DLL binary compatibility as long as symbols are only added and not removed.
</quote>

Ok, very good, no need for static inline hacks :)

> > Do we want anything special for it, like a @version command for _tx? Or
> > simply add notes at the end of functions which are not in 4.0.0, and
> > tell in which stable version they appeared first.
>
> Would be nice but given nobody wants to maintain the current makedoc
> any longer I think just human-readable text is fine for now.

Hm, while we're at that.. what do you think about throwing out makedoc
from 4.3? Documentation would go into the Haskell makedoc module (with
releases containing pregenerated docs in some common formats).

Later we would switch to Matthew's upcoming wiki docs. Matthew, if you
are reading this - can you confirm you're still planning to do this, and
are there any estimates when it will be ready?

--
Elias Pschernig