Re: [AD] About 4.3

On December 2, 2005 05:59 am, Peter Wang wrote:
> Elias asked about the SVN repository.  When we convert the CVS
> repository to Subversion, we should get something like this:
>
>     /trunk
>     /branches/4.0
>     /branches/new_api_branch
>     /tags/4.0.0
>     /tags/4.0.1
>     /tags/4.0.2
>     /tags/4.0.3
>     /tags/4.2.0
>
> We can do a copy from /trunk to /branches/4.2, then delete /trunk.  Then
> we can move /branches/new_api_branch to /trunk if we want, but it's not
> necessary since the name "trunk" is just a convention.  Subversion
> doesn't actually care.
>

> The stuff sitting in the new_api_branch at the moment is enough for a
> 4.3.0 release, except that the OSX port is broken.  Peter Hull, I'm not
> putting any pressure on you, but if you have some free time ;-) Anyone
> else with a Mac that wants to help out, please come forward!  I will try
> to answer any questions about what needs to be done, but basically the
> keyboard and joystick drivers need to be updated for the new event
> system.  Maybe something broke with regards to the gfx drivers as well;
> Evert should know.
>
> To keep the new_api_branch relatively stable for our intrepid Mac
> hackers, intrusive changes should be put into branches.  For example, I
> have a mouse API half finished here but if I commit it now it will only
> make it harder to bring the Mac port up to scratch (plus the Windows
> port will be broken).  I was going to wait for SVN before making a
> branch for that, but unless we go with alternative hosting that may be
> too long.

is this the correct incantation to get the new_api_branch: cvs -z3
-d:ext:strangemoose@xxxxxxxxxx co -r new_api_branch allegro ?

If it is, how is that enough for a release? It looks the same as the main
branch... I had thought the 4.3 release was going to start with the new al_
prefixing and whatnot?

But one thing has to be made clear to potential users, this is not even a WIP
release, since everything can be majorly changed from release to release.

> Alternative hosting: we can try either gna.org (licence scrutiny not
> withstanding) or berlios.de (if they are not overloaded).  Or if someone
> from the Allegro community can offer us temporary hosting then that
> would probably be easiest...

I have a SVN server up at svn.tomasu.org and baf has svn up on his dedicated
server. The latter may be a better idea.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom