Re: [AD] build process overhaul

Elias Pschernig wrote:

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 18:55 -0500, Jon Rafkind wrote:

My vote is for scons which I said I would hack together a script for, but I was away for the holidays. Ill submit it once it works.

Well, if we go for scons, I don't have to finish my automake stuff :)

Another advantage of scons is, it can live together with the current
build system, unlike automake. So we could keep the current system for a
while until it works.

Oh, and do you have anything written yet?

Attached is something, although wildly unfinished. There are multiple ways to build a project with SCons but I think I like this way so far. The technique is to have a top-level SConstruct that calls SConscript files in subdirectories that each return a list of files that should be built and linked together to form liballeg.so. This makes it easy to return a different list of files for different platforms since all the SConscript files have to do is include the SConscript files for the correct platform, i.e. src/unix, src/linux for linux and src/win for windows, etc.

The first hurdle I have stumbled upon is that scons thinks src/linux/svgalibs.s is a "static" file and cant be compiled into a shared library. Im not sure what this is about but I will investigate.

The scons build doesnt do anything fancy like creating the platform specific header files nor the config.h file, but Ill get to that at some point.

One more thing, I used map, lambda, and reduce which I guess some people dont like so if anyone is really opposed to using these things feel free to change them or just complain until I change them.