Re: [AD] malloc

i know the whole thing is going to get a design, and changes (as mentioned already), but is there any reason why we still cant change all the malloc's to _al_malloc() in the mean time ?

It will be a waste of your time if we have to change it again later.

I do not believe it is a waste of my time. I want to see it done. It is very important for me. Without trying to sound to whingy, im not too impressed with the rate of development of allegro, I know things take time, and making a good design is very important, but i have been asking, requesting, trying, to have the powers that be listen to my needs for quite a long time now, and i dont seem to be making much progress, each time i have brought up this particular issue, i was told it would be done in the future, or no, that will have to wait until after 420 was released. And rightly so, all the reasons for delaying my requests are justified, im not asking for anything that will derail the roadmap, Im trying to have my needs met without 'rocking the boat', but am getting ever more frustrated. Im not sure if im reading this right, but now it seems i am again being politely declined the chance to get anything done. The release schedule (based on past experience) tells me that if i have to wait for 4.3 to get this done, i might be waiting another 6 months (conservative estimate :P )

I hope this isn't the case, that someones future design for a non-C GC language implementation is going to stop C related changes that are valid for users (me) _right now_. Im not asking to change any functionality, just malloc replaced with _al_malloc(), that is all.

[deleted paragraph] (one step short of a Korval style rampage) [/deleted paragraph]

As it stands at the moment, allegro can be severly performance hit, if someone compiles it with SSE turned on, P4, and AMD CPUs both have SSE. Intel are now recommending that code favour SSE instead of MMX (cpu manufacturers have already signalled the death of MMX), so allegro and its i386 code + some MMX, is now closer to being a 20th century library than ever before. If allegro is a games library, then it needs to start targeting the types of CPUs that gamers have, and its not Pentium1's. Im trying to develop SSE stuff, that may benefit allegro, might even drag it into this century.

aj.