Re: [AD] al_find file size

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 00:56, Mike Fahlbusch wrote:
> The type for size is too small to hold files larger than 4 Gb because on
> many compilers, a long is only 32 bits.  Media files can be longer than
> 4 Gb.  In addition many games are coming out on DVD so the files can be
> larger than 4 Gb.  The  long long  data type is now supported by the C
> standard.  Can someone change  long size;  to  long long size;   to
> accommodate large files?

Afraid not, at least not for 4.2. For one thing, doing so will break
binarycompatibility. For another, long long is not C89. For 4.3 and up,
possibly, depending on what we want to do with the file functions.
I'm curious though, how do the operating system API's deal with this issue?
Have they always returned a 64 bit integer for filesize?

Evert