Re: [AD] Asm optimized version of _linear_draw_trans_rgba_rle_sprite24 is buggy?

On 2005-11-06, Serge Semashko <serge@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Serge Semashko wrote:
> >
> >I'm going to make some kind of regression testing and benchmarking
> >framework a bit later, so a real test program reproducing the problem
> >will be available too.
>
> Done. You can download a test program here:
> http://ufo2000.sourceforge.net/files/spritelib.zip
>
> A crash can be reproduced by running "test-asm.exe 24" (test program
> linked with assembly optimized version of allegro), "test-c.exe 24" runs
> fine (using C-version of allegro library). All the sources are included.

I can confirm the crash on linux.  Thanks for the report and test case,
though I don't know who will be up to fix it.

> Also I noticed that assembly optimized version of allegro is actually
> noticeably slower, at least on Athlon CPU. The benchmarks for 16bpp mode
> for both asm and c versions of allegro are listed below. Considering the
> discouraging performance test results, is it worth fixing the bug in asm
> version of allegro code?

It is worth fixing as 4.2.x will still use asm code by default.  We will
be drop the asm code from 4.3 onwards.  We probably should have done it
sooner but it didn't happen.  Unfortunately ABI compatibility means we
won't be able to change the default configuration for 4.2.1 either.

Peter