Re: [AD] OSX - About dialog

On Friday 14 October 2005 23:11, Chris wrote:
> Except when you decide you want to have other platforms have a similar
about
> box,

How do you make Windows pop up a standard about box for an application,
without the programme in question having a menu or anything like that?
There is no such standard feature on other operating systems (as far as I
know, if there is I want to know).

> It's sorta the same thing with win_set_window.

Not really, because...

> There was a way to make Windows
> use an alternate display handle, so they made the function.

... there's no new function to create. Did you check the patch? All it does
is add a few lines to the OS X specific main routine. The OS handles the
rest, Allegro doesn't have to do anything.

> cross-platform, it's still not nice to introduce something for people to
take
> advantage of when it's just going to be deprecated later in favor of a
proper
> cross-platform implementation.

I don't see that there is a cross platform implementation. Even if there
were though,

1) This code implements the MacOS X way of doing this. From the code, I
can't see another way to do it (Peter, can you specify something other
than Credits.html)? The MacOS X port would have to do it this way anyway
if we were to make this a standard feature on other platforms.
2) There is no API change involved in this patch, and thus no chance of an
API breakage.

If you insist on a platform neutral way to include `about...' information,
then having the following in Allegro's docs will do:

``If you wish to include credits or general information with your
programme, just include a credits.html file. On Windows you can place this
in the start menu with your executable. On Mac OS X, the contents of this
file will appear automatically in the about menu.''

So, my real question, is this feature to OS X bundles as having an icon is
to Windows executables? If the answer is yes, then I'm fine with including
it *if it doesn't break anything in other versions of OS X*.

In a way, this is more like the way we do icons for different platforms:
that's different on different systems as well (although we try to hide
that as best we can). But for a system that doesn't do icons (DOS), we
don't include them. Would you have objected to having a way to create an
icon in Windows or X11 because DOS doesn't have icons and the way to do it
is therefor not platform independent?

Evert