Re: [AD] OSX - About dialog

On Friday 14 October 2005 07:39 am, peter.hull90@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> For the programmer, no extra _code_ would be required to make this appear
> as an About box, the system does it all. Nothing would break
> cross-platform.

Except when you decide you want to have other platforms have a similar about
box, then you now have two different methods of doing it, one of which is OSX
specific. Personally, I think the method should be abstracted now so I other
platforms can implement it later on, instead of pushing this method which is
OSX specific.

It's sorta the same thing with win_set_window. There was a way to make Windows
use an alternate display handle, so they made the function. However, other
platforms were never considered, so win_set_window became a Windows-only
thing despite the potential for X to have a similar function. Though yes, you
can deprecate win_set_window if you make something better/more
cross-platform, it's still not nice to introduce something for people to take
advantage of when it's just going to be deprecated later in favor of a proper
cross-platform implementation.