Re: [AD] Re: file_select_ex patch

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 16:18 -0700, Chris wrote:
> You can still type in /var/www or /home/web into the path bar. Or, you can
> create symlinks in your home folder to those areas.

Yes. But why hide them, if they contain writeable files and directories?

> > Well, from the implementation view, I'd agree, -r should not show
> > read-only directories. But from any possible use scenario, I think it
> > must show all directories which may contain writeable files in them -
>
> You can say the same about hidden directories, though. Should it show hidden
> directories because they may contain unhidden files? And it is far more
> likely for a directory to be marked hidden with unhidden files than to be
> read-only with writeable files.

Hidden is different though. A hidden directory means, it is something I
usually don't want to access as user, because it has only system or
internal files.

Read-only just means, I have no access rights. I may have access rights
to children though. Even the root directory itself is a good example -
it most certainly will be read-only.

> > the "-r" is for files after all, and not directories.
>
> Directories can have a read-only attribute. It affects all files created in
> them, and has an affect that you can't delete/move it, or its contents. At
> most, you can only modify files in it *if* (and that's a big if) there's
> files marked writeable to you.

There's no if at all. Under linux, even the root directory is read-only
normally, and certainly you have writeable files somewhere under it.

--
Elias Pschernig