Re: [AD] MSVC 8 cl flags

On Saturday 20 August 2005 00:30, Matthew Leverton wrote:
> I now run every "stable" version of Allegro through BCC, MinGW, MSVC
> 6, MSVC 7, MSVC 7.1, and MSVC 8.0 and provide binaries for each. I've
> learned to not wait for "stable" versions of Allegro to come out, so I
> fully intend now on doing it for both the 4.2 and 4.3 branches.
>
> I don't necessarily have the time (or knowledge) to fix any obscure
> problems that come up, but I make it a point to bring any issue to
> [AD] and attempt to assist. (I really don't care if I'm labelled or
> not, but just wanted to point out that if you don't hear from me, it
> means either everything is working or I'm dead.)

Thanks!
By the way, not having much time to fix things is almost an entry
requirement to becoming a developer. ;)

About the issues that started this discussion, removing the /GB flag seems
a nobrainer. I'm not so sure about disabling warnings, but maybe I
misunderstand the nature of the /wd4996 switch? Does it supress all
deprecated function warnings, or just those of standard functions?
On that note, am I somewhat correct in assuming that if we move to things
like snprintf() instead of sprintf() (possibly a bad example, but you get
the idea) in 4.3, the warnings would go away?

Do you think you can put together a proposed patch for these fixes?

Evert