Re: [AD] set_config_file jumping around on OS X bundles

On Monday 22 August 2005 23:15, Chris wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean by this. AFIAK, if we add an extra vtable
entry now
> that's empty on all platforms, we can fill it in later as long as the DLL
> doesn't get any extra global functions or variables.

Yes, but you will need to do this *and update and check all system drivers
on all platforms*.
One of the reasons we didn't add vtable entries for the Mode-X functions
that caused problems is that it was too late in 4.2 development to be
adding functions to the vtables. For consistency alone we shouldn't be
adding one now.

> But it's something we'd have to do now. If we add the extra global
symbols
> now, the DLL should be fine when the functions themselves are filled in
> later. This won't break backwards ABI compatibilty since a 4.2.0 program
> would still work with a 4.2.1 DLL (all the same symbols are still
present,
> and the struct sizes are the same). Unless the program tried to use the
> null-op functions, but as long as we don't announce it in the public API
yet,
> it would be their fault for using it.

No user code should ever directly call a vtable function explicitly anyway.

Evert