Re: [AD] indentation

On August 21, 2005 02:58 pm, Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:
> On 2005-08-21, Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The problem is, only tview applications see tab as the concept
> > of moving to the multiple of 8 columns.
>
> What is a tview application? Is that firefox's new nickname?
>
> > Besides, try viewing a diff of some Allegro source.. it will now
> > obviously make the first indentation only 7 chars and look wrong.
>
> I would blame patch for not accepting diffs generated with
> --initial-tab and -u together.
>
> > And in an editor which uses 3 or 4 columns for a tab, it really
> > gets completely unintelligable.
>
> Yes, that's wrong. It would be right to use 3 or 4 columns for
> indentation and 8 colums for a tab.

Its hardly wrong. Historically it was 8 columns, but I set mine to 3. all
indentation is saved as tabs, and my editor is set to display indentation as
a 3 space wide chunk of whitespace.

And if you like 8 spaces, you can set your editor to that, and my code won't
look any worse than it did at 3, besides that it'll take up more horizonatal
screen space.