Re: [AD] [ alleg-Bugs-1223257 ] Mac OSX allegro will not read config files

On Friday 29 July 2005 06:17 am, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> Game is compiled for a debian distribution, so game data reside
> in /usr/share/game-name/, global configuration in /etc/game-name/, and
> per-user configuration in ~/.game-name/.

I think we can, currently, leave it to the programmer to worry about where the
game data is stored, and just worry about default game data paths as
something to do in 4.3.

About the /etc/game-name/ and ~/.game-name/ paths for the config file, I do
still think that the set_config_file function should just override the name,
not the search path. I don't remember what was decided on before, if
anything, and I'm still new to KMail and haven't been able to go back in this
thread to see.

But one thing to note, is that for all the programs I've run across in Linux,
the program never ever alters the config in /etc/game-name/. It will read the
config in /etc/game-name/, but all changes will go in ~/.game-name/. I've yet
to figure out how to use one config file to read default values from,
override those values with a custom/user config, and have changes go in the
override file. Everytime I've tried override_config_file, it's not done
this.. though I suppose I just could've been doing it wrong.