Re: [AD] al_list_config_entries

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 20:59, Bobby Ferris wrote:
> why can't it be added anyway? Betas are there to still be improved upon.

The next release was supposed to be RC1. Adding new stuff between a beta
and RC release is a bad idea.
Now that the next release will be beta 4, we *might* consider some larger
changes (this one, the load RMI patch), but only with *extreme* care.
I would be among the first to applaud this addition if we were still in WIP
stage, but we're not and I hesitate to give an ok for something like this.
We probably shouldn't.

> I think the feature lock should have exceptions for small patches like
this.

No, it shouldn't - not generally anyway. Feature freeze is feature freeze.
Only if you can make a very (very very) strong case why something should
go in anyway can new things be added.
The reason for being so stringent black-and-white all-or-nothing is that
you need to draw a firm line at some point in time. If you don't, you can
continue to add `small patches like this' and never finish.

Evert