Re: [AD] Problem with joystick on Windows XP

Sorry for not responding to your earlier message.

> -- PROBLEM --
> There is a problem with joystick support under Windows XP. (I don't know
> if it is under XP specifically)

What version of Allegro?
This is important: I've heard sometime that 4.0.3 has problems but that 4.2
(which is in beta at the moment) does not.

> -- WHERE I COULD HELP --
>
> If you can't reproduce the specific problem, I could help. If you would
> like me to try different compilations, please send me a compiled win32
> .exe for exjoy.exe to tell you if the problem is in it too.

If the problem is with Allegro, it is likely to be in the DLL, so a
compiled exjoy wouldn't help you.

> I don't know what implementation you are using, however, I could
> contribute by coding this thing into allegro, if you like. I suppose
> though that you are using something like DirectInput for the Windows
> support.

I think so, yes. If you want to submit a new joystick driver that does not
depend on DirectX, I think it would be a useful addition for the 4.3
branch.

> I hope I could help.
> If you who know better your routines have no time to look at this, you
> could ask me to help

Thanks! Help, especially on the Windows side of things, is always
appreciated. Frankly, I don't think many of us know that piece of code any
better than you do. ;)

The first thing to check would be if the problem is present in a recent
version of Allegro though.

Evert