Re: [AD] Re: Alleg-developers digest, Vol 1 #948 - 9 msgs

Elias Pschernig wrote:
And I think we agreed we only add languages with new symbols. So for
Kannada, we could even remove one of the ASCII only languages. Or
alternatively, we could do a different algorithm, leaving somewhat more
horizontal space. Then we could add more languages, like e.g. German, as
well :)

How about putting several languages on each line? Each line could be shared by different languages that use a similar alphabet. That way, not only do we reduce the clutter, but we place less emphasis on the Roman alphabet.

One line could have languages that only use the first 256 ASCII characters (Western-European languages), one line cold have languages that use more extensions to the Roman alphabet (Eastern-European languages, Icelandic, Maltese, etc.). The next line could be the Cyrillic alphabet (Russian, Ukranian, Bulgarian) and so on... For Japanese, the message could be in both the Hirogana and Katakana scripts and share the same line.

We could either wait for one language to disappear before another language appears on the line, or we could have two or more languages on the line at once. The choice depends on how much clutter this causes. Also, the scrolling-speed could be proportional to the number of languages on each line.

While on the subject of exunicod, could we transliterate 'Allegro' into the foreign alphabet, or should it be in the Roman alphabet for all languages?

AE.