[AD] Possible makefile problem (DJGPP/MinGW/others?)

Last night, I was trying to help someone build Allegro 4.1.16 using MSYS/MinGW. At first, he was having problems properly building and installing the lib because it kept ignoring the compiler path. After searching it turned out that it wasn't ignoring the MINGDIR var, but that the MINGDIR environment var wasn't even set. He tried again in MinGW proper and the same thing happened. He then proceeded to set MINGDIR, and it compiled properly.

Now, I looked in makefile.mgw, and it does indeed have the check to make sure MINGDIR is set. I read the GNU docs before and they did state that the first target is the default, however, the only explanaition me and him can come up with is this is only gauranteed for non-.PHONY targets. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of makefiles can look into it, but in either case, it did seem to ignore the fact that MINGDIR was not set.