Re: [AD] giftware license

Elias Pschernig wrote:

I know we all have an emotional attachment to the "giftware" license, but
would it be so bad if we use the MIT license?  If I understand it right, the
MIT license isn't requiring that people add Allegro attributions to their
code, only that they don't remove Allegro attributions from Allegro's code.
Perhaps we could use the Giftware license "informally", as a statement of
purpose or something, and use the MIT license formally?
I'd be all for changing to MIT.

I think this licence thing is just going to keep reoccurring (I only wanted a clarification on a FAQ answer, remember?), so I'm for using-giftware-informally-but-MIT-formally as well. Or we go with Bob's idea of dual-licensing, which I like even more. I don't know why that didn't get more discussion.

But there's still the question if it is legally possible - the
informal text of the giftware license certainly allows it, but that
reply on the OSI list says it is not possible because of copyright.
I'm waiting now if TDRH shows up and answers the two questions I
posted on allegro.cc.

Well, we always said it was allowed for a 3rd party to redistribute Allegro under whatever licence they wanted, so I don't see why we would be exempt from that.

Peter