Re: [AD] Use MMX to get fast

RogerioUP wrote:
"on what platform ( DOS, WinNT,2kXP, Win9x, Linux ) is your routines faster ?" My routine doesn't need an O.S., it could be assembled in anyone (I use my own O.S.), it needs a 386 PC based, and the speed will be the same in any O.S.

Accessing the hardware directly does indeed make it OS specific. Windows NT/2K/XP doesn't let you do that, nor does Linux (when not root). A quick look at the code seems to indicate you're just copying the memory, which won't work as you expect with video bitmaps.

The reason it probably worked for you is that Allegro has to keep a memory bitmap copy of video bitmaps incase WinXP will decide to lose the surface (in which case, we need to re-copy it). Having on-board video probably means it's sharing memory, so your VRAM address is possibly in your addressable RAM space, too. Plus, you can never be certain bitmaps will be 8 byte aligned.

I'm not trying to shoot down your idea, and I may be totally wrong somewhere. It might still be useful for memory->memory blits as well. We'll have to wait and see what kind of chatter this produces.

- Kitty Cat

PS. Please use text-only emails for this list. People don't like HTML in there email here. Thanks.