Re: [AD] Regarding backwards compatibility of 4.1.x and 4.x where x >= 2

On Monday 13 September 2004 23:37, Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:
>  "...but based on my experience with as recent a version as 4.1.12,
>  which is not compatible with 4.0.3... I am only officially
>  supporting 4.0.3..."
>
> Which kind of contradicts the proclaimed intention, unless the non
> compatibility issue is with regards to some obscure features.

It'd be interesting to know what sort of incompatibility he is refering to.
One thing that comes to mind is how the GUI handles centred text, which is
impossible to get right for both the WIP and the release version, as far
as I know (the one centres in the box from x over a width w, the other
centres around the x coordinate, if I recall correctly).
Other than that, I don't think I've had real show-stopping issues.

> Should the future compatibility layer be implemented now on top
> of the current WIP and make sure that WIPS compile cleanly with
> software using 4.0.3?

I think the future compatibility layer will be on top of 4.2 rather than
4.0, so I don't think it is useful to start implementing it now,
personally.

Evert