Re: [AD] Regarding backwards compatibility of 4.1.x and 4.x where x >= 2

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:

Should the future compatibility layer be implemented now on top
of the current WIP
It already is. See, for example, src/compat/cotimer.c and src/compat/cojoy.c in the new_api_branch. They are modified versions of src/timer.c and src/joystick.c from cvs HEAD.

and make sure that WIPS compile cleanly with
software using 4.0.3?  Doesn't this make useless the deprecation
warnings of the current WIPs?

Not really. I think we still prefer people not to use some functions, even if they will be available.

For 4.3.x, this is how I think it should work. If you download 4.3.x, you should be able to:

- compile Allegro 4.0.x code, with some deprecation warnings, by #include <allegro.h>
- compile Allegro 4.2.x code, without warnings, by #include <allegro.h>
- use the 4.2.x API alongside the new API parts, by #include <allegro.h> and #include <allegro/something_I_don't_know.h>

Peter