Re: [AD] Docs and set_gfx_mode

Evert Glebbeek wrote:
Same for graphics. Maybe we should have a detect_gfx_driver() similar to the detect_digi_driver() and detect_midi_driver() functions?

I don't know if that'd work, since the w/h/vw/vh parameters will have an effect on the selected driver. Unless you want to do
int detect_gfx_driver(card, w, h, vw, vh);

This is a case point that Allegro should just allocate as much VRAM as possible, and just use the driver method for creating video bitmaps. Of course, there's two problems with this... DOS (maybe? not sure)

Since your program owns the whole computer in DOS, it probably isn't a problem there.

Pure DOS, probably. But I don't know whether DOS emulators, or Win9x will allow that. It would depend on the driver since some of them require banking and others have VRAM limits (VGA). And if you could get the whole VRAM block in DOS, what was the point of vw/vh in the first place?

How does SDL handle virtual screens/video surfaces? Does it just not use them for X11 or non-Windows platforms?

- Kitty Cat