RE: [AD] Docs and set_gfx_mode

> Isn't this driver dependent, rather than a compile-time OS-specific
> thing?

In principle, yes - although as far as I know all drivers on a given
platform happen to behave the same way (I think this is true of at least
X11/DGA and DirectX/DirectX windowed). Not that I don't agree we should
change this though...
What we should have, and this is probably a good thing to have for the 4.2
version, is a vram_single_surface function. This could either report the
status on a driver (before a mode is set) or on the current screen/driver
settings (after the mode is set). In the latter case, we could also add a
flag to gfx_capabilities. Actually, we can probably do that anyway.
The only real question is wether or not this is actually useful: you won't
know if you need a virtual screen until after you've called set_gfx_mode().
Sure, you can call it again, but that's not very nice IMO...

Evert