Re: [AD] X primitives patch

Peter Wang wrote:
In that case it makes no sense at all, since Pixmaps are stored on the X server whereas XImages are stored in the client program. The screen would have to be a Pixmap as well. Or am I missing something?

HMm.. if Pixmaps are stored server side, then I guess it would be slow to read from/write to them (if we don't/can't have direct access to its data, anyway). It seems the screen originally was a Pixmap (or rather an XImage was retrieved from the Pixmap), but that code is #if 0'd out in favor of a pure XImage.

If we can have direct, fast access to a Pixmap's memory, then I think it wouold be beneficial to use them for the screen and system bitmaps.. though it gives rise to the question of what role the shared memory extension Allegro uses for the screen XImage is playing.

- Kitty Cat