Re: [AD] Update on gfx api

On Monday 30 August 2004 21:02, Robert Ohannessian wrote:
> Any reason why we're not going with the original A5 one?

Not in particular. This is what grew naturally when I looked for a natural
way to extend the current API (to include update methods, among other
things).
I did have Allegro 5 at the back of my head while I was writing this, but
haven't yet looked at the specs and discussions in the archives (or your
code) in detail. I know this is different from what was discussed earlier,
but I do plan to make it converge more to the proposed API. I'll probably
have to anyway by the time things like input and multiple windows become
something to be considered.
Oh, this is just a display initialization and page flipping API for now. I
don't have any personal thoughts about what I'd want to do for a blitting/
drawing API myself.

> I know my word
> doesn't mean much anymore, since I don't have the time to contribute,
> but the one I had proposed originally had a lot of thought and
> iterations put into it to make sure it's easy to use, flexible and
> extendible.

I'll be sure to look into it. As I said, what I have now is what I came up
with naturally and it feels as though it is flexible and easy to me at the
moment. I don't doubt that there's some things I've missed though.
If I have my doubts about something or don't like something personally,
I'll bring it up here.

> Of course, I have no say in the direction in which Allegro is going, so
> feel free to ignore me.

Apart from any input being useful, I'd consider yours particularly
valuable, especially when it comes to the graphics API.

Evert