Re: [AD] Screen update API again

Evert Glebbeek wrote:

On Friday 20 August 2004 10:04, Peter Wang wrote:
Whether it *should* be included, I dunno. It depends on how many people want something like that, and why it can't just be an addon.

Well, I think a lot of people actually write wrappers like that, so I think there's a real interest in them. I'd normally say to make it an addon too, but in this case I think it has a place in Allegro itself.

Yeah.

What would be against it being included now, IMO, is that a similar system would be part of a new graphics API, if I remember what was discussed for Allegro 5 correctly. We could be including it now and depricating it again relatively soon. On the other hand, the new graphics API could take a while yet.

It *will* take a while, if it ever gets done. So if the screen update API is really important then it should just go in, otherwise it could get delayed indefinitely (like some other features which I won't mention).

Maybe we should pull out the "official" or "common" addons idea out again. A bunch of addons lumped into a single build process, and hosted on the Allegro website (but not necessarily maintained by core Allegro developers, though -- maybe some Allegro.cc regulars could be recruited).

Can't hurt. This could start small by just linking to some common addons from Allegro's download page. Maintaining a common build process for all of them may be too much work... (daydreaming) although it'd be nice to have a build process that can build Allegro, detect common addons and build them as well...

Well, it can require Allegro to be installed before the addons can be installed. That should simplify it a bit.

Peter