Re: [AD] Screen update API again

Evert Glebbeek wrote:

A while back we discussed what we wanted to do with the screen update API in terms of it supporting things like triple buffering, double buffering etc. through a single interface. I think concensus was that we wanted to go in the direction of the proposed Allegro 5 API, but I don't know how finalized this was. In the mean time, it may also be interesting to look at the code Chris Barry has written (although it doesn't look too different from the code that other Chris posted earlier):
http://www.allegro.cc/forums/view_thread.php?_id=397489&#target
with a few modifications, I think this could go into Allegro - if we don't have other plans for the gfx API.

Ideas? Comments?

There's nothing really complicated in the proposed API, so maintaining compatibility for it in future won't be any harder than maintaining compatibility with the underlying Allegro 4 functions used in the implementation. So from that POV it would be ok.

Whether it *should* be included, I dunno. It depends on how many people want something like that, and why it can't just be an addon.

Maybe we should pull out the "official" or "common" addons idea out again. A bunch of addons lumped into a single build process, and hosted on the Allegro website (but not necessarily maintained by core Allegro developers, though -- maybe some Allegro.cc regulars could be recruited).

Some suggestions for the name: AllegroPlus, AllegroEnhanced, AllegroEx...

Peter