Re: [AD] demo of new timer API (unix only)

Evert Glebbeek wrote:

Firstly, it looks like people are happy with the evolution idea (thank Chris for that), with a few reservations about compatibility. It's pretty exciting. I guess we should wait until those guys in Europe come back from vacation before discussing how to proceed.

I'm back at any rate. I think Elias and Angelo said they'd be away until the end of the month though...

Greece, perhaps?

As long as you've got threads, you can do pretty much anything. DOS will probably have to be dropped.

There's a pthreads port for DJGPP (well, something that emulates the pthreads API and functionality on DOS anyway). Not sure how well it works though.

If it's the pthreads package that I looked at in the past, it doesn't have preemptive threads, i.e. a thread only gets the CPU when another thread calls one of the pthread_* functions. That's not very helpful and so the emulation either won't work or will be that much harder.

I'd be in favour of requiring that as an additional download for DJGPP rather than dropping DOS outright at this moment, also because it's relatively little effort to get it to work if we use pthreads on *nix anyway.

Nah, it's not that simple :-)  It will only get harder with the input APIs.

I'll see how your code runs here in a little while.

Cheers. I'll put up a newer version tonight as there's a thread-safety bug in the previous version I uploaded. Silly Allegro calls install_int/remove_int from inside interrupt callbacks...

Peter