Re: [AD] demo of new timer API (unix only)

> Firstly, it looks like people are happy with the evolution idea (thank
> Chris for that), with a few reservations about compatibility.  It's
> pretty exciting.  I guess we should wait until those guys in Europe come
> back from vacation before discussing how to proceed.

I'm back at any rate. I think Elias and Angelo said they'd be away until
the end of the month though...

> I'm just going to
> assume that the existing a5 code (i.e. mostly my code :-) will be the
> first to get integrated.

This is what I thought too any way ;)

> So I'm optimistic that compatibility layers can work well (at least for
> timers & input) -- on systems with threads.

Cool.

> As long as you've got
> threads, you can do pretty much anything.  DOS will probably have to be
> dropped.

There's a pthreads port for DJGPP (well, something that emulates the
pthreads API and functionality on DOS anyway). Not sure how well it works
though.
I'd be in favour of requiring that as an additional download for DJGPP
rather than dropping DOS outright at this moment, also because it's
relatively little effort to get it to work if we use pthreads on *nix
anyway.

> Even if it was technically possible (and maybe it is), it was
> probably going to happen anyway due to lack of personnel.

Agreed. I believe the general consensus is that the level of DOS support
offered by Allegro versions up to now is adequate enough that future
versions need not support it (actively at least).

I'll see how your code runs here in a little while.

Evert