Re: [AD] demo of new timer API (unix only)

Evert Glebbeek wrote:
although if the API is there internally we might as well expose it...

I can't say I agree with the latter statement. Some things should stay internal because they are subject to change. Once something's exposed, it becomes more-or-less unchangeable.

That said, I don't think it should be Allegro's place to provide threading services, at least as it doesn't relate to Allegro itself. As you said, pthreads is available for both Unix and Windows, so if a program needs cross-platform threading, they can go with pthreads and require the pthreads Windows port for Windows. I just feel providing a threading API will just be re-inventing the wheel. There's already a good threading API (pthreads), use it directly instead of making another layer on top of it.

However, an interesting idea would be if Allegro were to make its own pthreads implementation for platforms that don't currently have it (Windows) and just call that Allegro's thread API, I'd be alright with that. Actually, I'd quite like that idea.

- Kitty Cat